Blueberries are a culture unfamiliar to Russian gardeners, the interest in which increases every year. It is a relatively thermophilic crop that requires careful selection of the variety.adapted to the climatic conditions of the landing region. This article provides an overview and description of the best blueberry varieties in different categories - Bluecrop, Thoreau, Duke, Spartan and others.
Table of contents
- Varieties of garden tall blueberry
- Early varieties: Reka, Duke, Patriot and others
- Late varieties: Bluecrop, Jersey, Bonus
- Description of varieties of undersized blueberries
- Early varieties: Northland, Bluegold, Northblue and others
- Mid-late varieties: Emil, Polaris, Putte
- Varieties of blueberry marsh
- The best blueberry varieties for the Moscow region: Erliblu, Nelson, Spartan and others
Varieties of garden tall blueberry
At the beginning of the 20th century, Brucke was selected from a wild blueberry species. Subsequently the Russell variety was developed from undersized blueberries, which is characterized by frost resistance and early maturity... After crossing these varieties, biologists obtained excellent results, and after adding southern blueberries to them, four valuable varieties were developed. So a new culture entered gardening - tall blueberries. Today there are about 50 registered varieties in the United States.
Tall blueberry - a branched shrub with a height of 1.2 to 2.5 m. The plant is distinguished by its rapid growth and good shoot-forming ability. The size of the fruits depends on the variety, often reaching up to 4 g. The taste of the berries is characteristic of the species, but sweeter than that of wild forms.
New varieties of tall blueberries are quite winter-hardy and frost-hardy, can withstand temperatures as low as -30 ° С... At lower temperatures, they can freeze, but with proper care they quickly recover. Spring frosts are more dangerous for loss of yield; blueberry flowers do not tolerate temperature drops of more than -2 ° C.
Early varieties: Reka, Duke, Patriot and others
Fruits of early varieties of culture in the middle lane begin to ripen from the second half of July.
The best varieties:
Extraordinary taste of fruits and high yield (8-18 kg per bush) differs grade River.
Duke grade very popular in America. Plant feature - late flowering, which excludes loss of yield due to damage to flowers by spring frosts. Despite this, the fruits ripen by mid-July. The shrubs of this variety have strong fruits with a dessert taste and a pronounced aroma.
Feature of the Patriot variety plasticity to soil conditions, resistance to late blight. Therefore, growing plants of this variety does not bring additional trouble to the gardener.
Many gardeners plant blueberry varieties with different ripening times in their garden. This allows for a continuous harvest from July to mid-September.
Late varieties: Bluecrop, Jersey, Bonus
Shrub fruits of these varieties begin to ripen in the first half of August.
The best varieties:
Jersey variety one of the best pollinators, it is worth considering when selecting shrubs for a combination planting. In addition, it is resistant to late spring frosts and viral diseases. This is an old and proven variety by many gardeners.
Bluecrop the most reliable, consistently fruiting variety. Productivity 6-9 kg per bush... The fruits of this shrub are valued for their high transportability and resistance to natural disasters. The Toro variety is highly frost-resistant, can withstand temperatures as low as -34 ° C.
A real find for lovers of eating fresh fruits is grade Bonus... This plant fruit diameter reaches up to 30 mm... The pulp is sweet and firm, so the fruit is able to withstand long-term transportation.
All varieties of tall blueberry presented in this review are suitable for cultivation in the southern and middle horticultural regions. When choosing a variety for a garden plot, it is important to pay attention to the characteristics of the plant, winter hardiness and disease resistance.
Description of varieties of undersized blueberries
The introduction of low-growing blueberry species into crops began in the 1930s, in parallel with tall species. The most promising forms were selected from wild species and breeding work was carried out. As a result varieties of undersized blueberry with a shorter growing season and higher frost resistance were bredthan varieties of tall crop species. Also, blueberry varieties obtained by selection from the natural population have been introduced into horticulture.
Depending on the variety, undersized blueberry shrubs reach a height of 50 cm to 1.2 m. The yield ranges from 1.2 to 2.5 kgbut there are exceptions. Medium-sized fruits from 1 to 1.8 cm in diameter with a pronounced sweet and sour taste, perfect for culinary preparations. The relatively high frost resistance makes it possible to successfully cultivate all varieties of undersized blueberries in the middle and northern regions of horticulture.
Early varieties: Northland, Bluegold, Northblue and others
Early blueberry varieties begin to ripen in mid-July.
- St. Cloud;
According to gardeners grade Northland can withstand downgrade temperatures up to -40 ° С... Therefore, it can be planted in regions with harsh winters. Plants of this variety are distinguished by a regular yield (4-8 kg per bush), which is rare for low-growing varieties.
St. Cloud the earliest variety, the fruits of the bush begin to ripen in early July. A distinctive feature is the need for annual pruning. Bluegold variety valued for its stable yield (4.5-7 kg per bush), winter hardiness and resistance to fungal diseases.
Mid-late varieties: Emil, Polaris, Putte
The fruits of these varieties begin to ripen from the beginning of August.
The best varieties:
Feature of the Putte variety - self-fertility, it can be planted in single plantings. Polaris variety prized for consistent yields 1.5-2 kg from the bush. Fruits of the Emil variety sweeter, ideal for making preserves and jams.
All varieties of low-growing blueberries are compact and highly decorative, therefore they are often used in landscape design. Plants can be used to cover unsightly buildings, form a hedge, or decorate a spacious lawn.
Varieties of blueberry marsh
These varieties were introduced into cultivation by selecting promising forms of marsh blueberry. They are distinguished by high winter hardiness and frost resistance, and are recommended for cultivation in the Urals and Siberia. Blueberry bushes of these varieties able to withstand temperature drops from -35 ° С to -43 ° С.
- Taiga beauty;
- Blue scattering;
Among these plants, gardeners highlight grade Taiga beautyable to withstand a drop in temperature down to -43 ° С... In addition, the variety is resistant to viral and fungal diseases. High yields are distinguished by varieties Divnaya and Golubaya scattering — 1.6 kg per bush... Have Shegarskaya varieties large (1.1 g) and juicy fruits.
The best blueberry varieties for the Moscow region: Erliblu, Nelson, Spartan and others
The climate in the Moscow region is moderately continental with a pronounced seasonality. The average temperature in winter is -11 ° С, during the influence of the anticyclone it can drop to -25 ° -30 ° С. The soil freezes up to 65-75 cm, and the height of the snow cover reaches 35-45 cm. Together, these conditions are suitable for growing blueberries. The only danger for blueberries is spring and autumn frosts, the possibility of which must be taken into account when choosing a variety and caring for it.
The best varieties:
- Blue Ray;
Variety Patriot actively cultivated by gardeners of the Moscow region. Among the positive characteristics, stable yield 5-7 kg per bush, resistance to root and stem rot. In addition, plants of this variety are highly decorative and are often used in the formation of hedges.
Rankocas variety an excellent option for early harvesting, the fruits of these shrubs begin to ripen in the first decade of July. The originators claim that the plants able to withstand frosts down to -34 ° С.
Fruits of the Spartan variety are an excellent option for fresh consumption. These are berries with light acidity, which keep their shape well and tolerate long-term storage. The Erliblu variety is distinguished by its high winter hardiness, easily tolerates possible temperature drops and the influence of return frosts.
All varieties of undersized and marsh blueberries are suitable for growing in the Moscow region. They are less productive, but more plastic to climatic and soil conditions, are resistant to many diseases.
The basis for successful blueberry cultivation is the correct selection of the variety. This is a rather whimsical plant that requires careful adherence to all the rules of agricultural technology.... Despite this, many gardeners have already abandoned their usual berry crops, gradually equipping small blueberry plantations on their plots. This is facilitated by the high nutritional value of the fruits of the culture and the increased demand in the market.
Description and characteristics of the blueberry variety River, planting and care rules
Blueberries of the Reka variety with their color, smooth ripening waves, large volumes of juicy berries, which contain water, really resemble a river. This is one of the modern varieties that quickly gains weight and has a high yield. Gardeners have already appreciated blueberries, and amateurs should pay close attention to them, as they are suitable for growing in the middle zone of our country.
Garden blueberries Bluecrop can reproduce in three main ways:
- seeds - the most laborious method in which the grown seedling begins to bear fruit only at 5-6 years of age, but does not inherit varietal traits
- layering - the best option for breeding blueberries, which consists in bending the shoots to the ground and sprinkling them with soil for rooting
- cuttings - they are harvested in the fall, after which they are stored all winter in a cool place, in the spring they are placed in the ground and covered with film material until the end of August.
More than half a century ago, American breeders developed a blueberry variety with large (17–20 mm), slightly flattened, bluish-colored fruits. The elastic flesh of the berries has excellent taste, which is preserved even when frozen.
The crop harvested in July - August is well stored and suitable for transportation. Overripe Bluegold fruits do not crack, but crumble if not harvested in time.
Bushes of medium height (1.6-1.9 m) of the Blukrop variety have earned popularity due to their excellent characteristics. A hardy plant is not afraid of either heat or cold, it is rarely affected by infections and harmful insects.
What gardener does not dream of a shrub that will delight with lush flowering in spring, excellent harvest in summer and fabulously beautiful fiery foliage in autumn? If you were looking for such a plant, consider that you have already found it! Blueberry varieties Blue Ray in the spring he dresses in a romantic pink robe, and in the fall he replaces it with a fiery red outfit.
The berries are juicy, very sweet, shiny, deep blue in color. The bushes are literally strewn with them, tk. Blue Ray yields not just a bountiful, but an excessive harvest. However, excessive fruiting is at the same time a disadvantage of the variety, because it depletes the plant. When choosing blueberries of this variety for your garden, this feature should be taken into account.
The variety has another strong side - it is very winter hardy. Blueberry Blue Ray can withstand frosts down to -34 ° С.
These berries are best eaten fresh. Moreover, they remain so for a long time and do not crack even when they are overripe.
The best varieties of blueberries
Today, there are so many varieties of this shrub that they have to be differentiated according to various characteristics, which include:
- ripening time of berries
- the height of the bushes
- berry sizes
- winter hardiness
- decorative qualities.
Within each of these groups there are the most popular representatives suitable for cultivation in our area.
The early ones include blueberries, which ripen in July and the very beginning of August.
The most popular early blueberry breeding products:
- Kaz Plishka is a Polish cultivar characterized by stiff shoots and spherical fruits. The berries ripening in the second half of July have a fragrant dessert-like pulp and have the ability to remain ripe on the branches for a long time, which greatly facilitates the mechanization of the fruit collection process.
- Legation, which has a high yield, reaching 6 kg per plant. Ripen enough small, but with a wonderful taste, berries in the second half of summer and have universal use.
- Sunrise - medium-high and lush bush does not require frequent pruning. The large fruits of this culture have a somewhat flattened shape and have excellent gastronomic qualities, ripening in the middle of summer. Sunrise yield is 4 kg per plant. The disadvantage is a certain inability to endure frequent frosts.
- Northland belongs to undersized productive shrubs up to 1 meter high. Its yield is up to 8 kg. The medium-sized blue fruit has a firm pulp and high palatability. The advantages of Northland also include increased resistance to low temperatures.
- Rabbit eye, which is a tall blueberry, rises to a height of over 2 m. Its distinctive feature is drought resistance and the ability to grow in soil with high acidity. Purple oval berries weighing up to 7 g have a sour taste, which is why they are used mainly in the form of culinary ingredients and additives. This variety is not resistant to low temperatures.
- Weymouth belongs to the very early species, whose large berries up to 18 mm in diameter ripen at the very beginning of July, and have a dark blue color, a rounded flattened shape and not very attractive gastronomic qualities. In addition, the berries, having reached maturity, easily fall off the branches. Therefore, Weymouth is prized primarily for its very early ripening.
- Sweetheart is a low-growing bush, reaching only half a meter in height, but giving up to 3 kg of large (15 mm in diameter), juicy and very tasty berries. The plant is winter-hardy, withstands frosts down to -40 ° C.
They are represented by blueberries ripening in August, mainly in its middle or end. Late ripening blueberries are not suitable for regions with cold climates, since their fruits are not able to ripen before the arrival of low temperatures. Best of all, these representatives grow in the southern regions of the Non-Black Earth Region, in Belarus and in the northern regions of Ukraine.
The most popular late blueberries in our country are represented by the following varieties:
- Berkeley... These are spreading bushes, reaching a height of 2 m and giving up to 8 kg of fruits, which begin to ripen from mid-August.
- Jorma ... Blueberries grow up to 1.5 m.Fruits of large size, ripening during August, are juicy and taste good. Jorma is able to withstand temperatures as low as -27 ° C.
- Giant blue, very large blue berries of which are 30 mm in diameter. They have a pleasant sweet and sour taste and juicy pulp. The plant is distinguished by good winter hardiness, and its fruits are remarkable for keeping quality and transportability.
- Aurora rises to a height of 1.5 m and gives blue small berries weighing up to 1.5 g, which have a sweet-sour dessert flavor, firm pulp and good keeping quality.
- Elliot characterized by tall bushes over 2 m, on which blue extremely juicy berries ripen with excellent gastronomic properties.
- Bluecrop is a tall blueberry, the yield per plant is 9 kg of tart and at the same time sweet berries. This blueberry is able to withstand frost, heat and even drought.
- Double, so named because of its ability to produce twice the average yield. The plants ripen grape-like bunches of berries, each of which has a mass of 2 g and is characterized by sweetness.
- Artaud Is a medium-sized blueberry that produces medium-sized blue berries with a sweet taste and a memorable aroma. It is distinguished by its ability to withstand cold temperatures down to -27ºС.
- Concorde... It grows up to 1.8 m. Differs in stable yields up to 7 kg. Large fruits up to 2 cm in diameter have excellent gastronomic properties. However, due to their thin skin, they cannot be transported and stored for a long time. Basically, the berries of this variety are intended for fresh use.
- Sweet Grape - tall plants up to 2 m in height. Bunches of large berries ripen on them, the weight of which reaches 3.5 g. This characteristic allows you to collect from 1 bush up to 9 kg of berries differing in sweetness and aroma. At the same time, the variety has an enviable frost resistance, allowing it to winter at temperatures down to -34 ° C.
- Tophat - hybrid of blueberries with blueberries. Low shrubs fit well with any garden design. Large black berries with high gastronomic properties ripen. Tophat can winter in temperatures down to -35ºС.
Blueberry is a plant belonging to the genus Vaccinium. Some experts identify it with blueberries, but this is not entirely correct. Garden blueberry has a fibrous root system, cylindrical brown branches and green shoots. But its berries are distinguished by an oblong shape, blue color and green pulp. From one bush, you can collect up to six kilograms of berries.
Garden blueberries have a fibrous root system, cylindrical brown branches and green shoots.
Blueberries: varieties, description
There are several groups of blueberry varieties:
- tall northern
- tall southern
- "Rabbit eye".
Garden blueberries are distinguished by their oblong shape, blue color and green flesh.
Blueberries: varieties for the Moscow region
On the territory of the Moscow region, northern tall blueberries are most often grown. Tall blueberries are highly frost-resistant. It begins to bloom quite late. Before starting to bear fruit, for 800-1000 hours, the bushes of this variety should grow at a temperature not higher than + 6 ° C. The tall blueberry has several varieties.
Garden blueberries: varieties
The shrub has large green leaves. It perfectly tolerates even severe frosts down to –30 C. The berries reach their ripeness in mid-December.
From one shrub, you can collect 6-7 kilograms of the crop. Ripe berries have a pleasant sweetish taste. If they are overripe, they crumble easily.
The variety is quite unpretentious, so it can be planted along the fence as a hedge.
Berkeley blueberries perfectly tolerate even severe frosts down to -30 C
This tall plant reaches a height of 1 meter and has relatively large fruits. They ripen early enough - in late summer or early autumn. At the stage of full ripening, the fruits acquire a pale blue hue and have a pleasant sweetish aftertaste. The shrub feels good even in the most severe frosts.
Chippewa blueberries reach a height of 1 meter and have relatively large fruits
The shrub is wide, strong, vigorous, with beautiful toothed leaves of a deep green color. It is also used as an ornamental plant. The taste of this blueberry variety is very unusual, for which the berry is appreciated by amateurs. The plant is frost-resistant, the berries reach maturity in August.
The taste of the fruit of the blueberry Blurei is very unusual, for which the berry is appreciated by amateurs
A tall bush that grows up to one and a half meters. In shape, the fruits of this variety are slightly flattened, the taste is sweet. The first ripe berries are large and harvested by hand, but over time they become smaller, making mechanical harvesting possible.
The variety gives a high yield, so the shrub must be constantly thinned out. This will protect the branches from being damaged by the large cluster of berries. Patriot perfectly adapt to highly moistened barren soil. It perfectly tolerates frosts down to -40oС.
Blueberry Patriot gives a high yield, so the shrub must be constantly thinned out.
A medium-sized shrub with medium-sized fruits that ripen fairly evenly. Over time, the fruits do not change in size, but are prone to shedding. Experts advise harvesting only by hand.
The variety perfectly tolerates transportation and long-term storage, but it needs to maintain an optimal temperature regime. Bluegold is a highly productive variety, so shrubs should be pruned regularly.
Otherwise, the branches break off due to the large number of berries.
Blueberries Bluegold perfectly tolerate transportation and long-term storage, but they need to maintain optimal temperature conditions
The variety was bred and included in production in the middle of the last century. A very productive shrub, it is one of the most popular in our region. It can reach a height of two meters. Up to 10 kilograms of the crop can be harvested from one bush.
Blocrop is highly adaptable to various types of soil, tolerates dry weather well and is resistant to severe frosts. But at the same time, this variety is very sensitive to pests and viruses, it does not take root well on waterlogged soil.
The berries are medium in size and light blue in color and have a good density, so harvesting can be mechanized. Bushes need constant pruning.
Up to 10 kilograms of harvest can be harvested from one blueberry bush Bluecrop
The bush grows up to 1.6 meters in height, has a spreading crown. The fruits are large, reaching maturity in the middle of summer. The variety is transportable, bears good fruit.
Blueberry Bonus grows up to 1.6 meters in height, has a spreading crown
The shrub is high, grows up to 1.8-2 meters. The fruits reach maturity in mid-August. From one bush, you can collect 4.5-5 kilograms of berries. They are medium in size and have a beautiful light blue color. The fruits of this variety have a good density, therefore they are well preserved during transportation.
Brigata Blue's blueberries are medium in size and have a beautiful light blue color.
Strong shrub with straight shoots. Buds and branches adapt well to frost. The variety bears fruit regularly and abundantly, the crop can be harvested by hand in 2-3 times. The taste of berries is sweetish-sour, sometimes tart.
If the berries are stored for some time, their taste will increase slightly. The harvested crop lends itself well to transportation. In order for the shrub to bear fruit well and regularly, it must be constantly pruned.
The bush does not take root well in excessively moist and cold areas.
Duke blueberry bears fruit regularly and abundantly, the crop can be harvested by hand in 2-3 times